Safeguarding Adults Board

The Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board is a statutory body underpinned by the Care Act 2014 which came into force on 1 April 2015. The Board is responsible for developing strategies to reduce risk and prevent harm, and to respond effectively when abuse and neglect occurs.

Please also see the Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board website.



What is Abuse and Neglect?

There are many forms of abuse. They may include one or more of the following:
  • Physical Abuse for example, being hit, slapped or punched.
  • Psychological or Emotional Abuse for example, intimidation, threats of harm or controlling behaviour.
  • Sexual Abuse for example indecent exposure, rape, sexual harassment or sexual acts where an adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
  • Financial or Material Abuse for example, misuse of someone’s money, possessions or property.
  • Domestic Abuse can include some or all of the above and also includes so called honour based violence.
  • Neglect for example, not providing necessary food, clothing, shelter or medical care.
  • Self-Neglect for example, someone neglecting their own personal hygiene, health and surroundings.
  • Discriminatory Abuse for example, harassment because of race, gender, age, disability, sexuality or religion.
  • Modern Slavery for example, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.
  • Organisational Abuse for example, neglect and poor practice within a setting such as a care home or hospital, or in relation to care provided at home.

How to Report Abuse and Neglect

You can report very serious abuse and neglect to Cleveland Police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency.

If you are worried or want to talk to someone, contact your local Social Care Service:


 Contact Number

 Email Address

 Hartlepool  01429 523 390  [email protected]
 Middlesbrough  01642 726 004  [email protected]
 Redcar & Cleveland  01642 771 500  [email protected]
 Stockton-on-Tees  01642 527 764  [email protected]

Evenings and Weekends 08702 402 994

If you need any further information or advice you can also contact:
Business Unit Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board: 01642 527263 [email protected]

Further Support
Further support organisations for adults can be found on the Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board web page.