Terrorism and violent extremism is not the product of any one religion or community.
Terrorists and violent extremists actively aim to damage community relations, undermine the values we all share and create divisions.
The United Kingdom has had a long-term strategy for countering international terrorism, known as CONTEST.
The National CONTEST strategy, followed by all UK forces is divided into four strands:
- Preventing terrorism, by tackling the radicalisation of individuals.
- Pursuing terrorists and those that sponsor them.
- Protecting the public, key national services and UK interests overseas.
- Preparing for the consequences.
In line with this strategy, we aim to:
- Raise awareness of the threat of terrorism and all forms of violent extremist activity within the community.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships to promote safer communities.
- Gather intelligence.
- Detect and disrupt networks and individuals active in violent extremist activity
- Monitor travel patterns to help enhance / maintain border controls.
- Prevent violent extremist activity through early intervention and community reassurance.
What can you do
- Trust your instincts.
- Report any concerns you may have about individuals, places or events.
Call 999 if there is an immediate threat to life.
If you have information about possible terrorist activity, call the police anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321 or 101
Cleveland Police has bespoke teams who cover the Cleveland area and Ports. These teams work with relevant partners and the community focusing on the four strands of CONTEST.
In addition the force has a dedicated Communities and Partnerships team who are the main drivers for the delivery of the Prevent strand of CONTEST with the assistance of relevant partners and the community.
Communities and Partnerships Team
The Communities and Partnerships team can provide training, information and advice on Prevent.
If you require further information please use the following contact details:
Cleveland Police need your help to protect our communities from terrorists and extremists. We welcome your contact, information and support.
Security Service MI5