Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

We are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates. This is due to home visits no longer being possible, following government guidance on the need for social distancing. Renewal applications are currently still being processed. Please contact us online if you have any questions

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to acquire and store 15kg to 2000kg of explosives

How do I apply?

Step 1: Familiarise yourself with the Explosives Regulations 2014.

Step 2: Download and complete the Application for a Storage Licence Under the Explosives Regulations 2014 form (Form ER2).

You'll need these details:

  • your National Insurance (NI) number
  • address of the explosives store
  • explosives to be kept and quantities


Step 3: Check the Health and Safety and Nuclear (fees) Regulations 2016 to find the fee for your application.

Make out a cheque for this amount, payable to TP & CC for Cleveland Police.

Step 4: Post your completed form to:

Firearms Licensing Unit
Shared Service Centre
Ash House
111 Acres
Princeton Drive
TS17 6AJ


How much does it cost?

There are different fees depending on where the explosives will be stored and the duration of the certificate. Find which fees you'll need to pay. 

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.