Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a one-for-one variation to a firearm certificate

How do I apply?

Step 1: Download and complete the Application to Vary a Firearm Certificate (Form 201V).

You'll need these details:

  • your current firearms certificate
  • the name and address of your current UK GP or UK GP practice
  • any physical or mental health conditions
  • any previous convictions
  • details of the firearm(s) you wish to vary and why

Step 2: Post your completed, signed form and current firearm certificate to:

Firearms Licensing Unit
Shared Service Centre
St Mark’s House
St Mark’s Court
Stockton on Tees
TS17 6QW


How much does it cost?

It's free to vary your certificate.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information or arrange a home visit.

Otherwise, you should receive your updated certificate within eight weeks.