Victims Code

The police will give you information about what to expect from the criminal justice system, including information about the Victims’ Code. The Victims’ Code sets out the services you can expect from criminal justice agencies. The police will conduct a “needs assessment” and will ask you questions to establish what help and support you might need. The Victims’ Code sets out your rights to make a complaint under the Victims’ Code if you are unhappy with the service you receive.

If you would like to read the Code in full, or to access a shorter guide to the Code, please visit:

If you do not live in England and Wales, you are still entitled to the services set out in the Victims’ Code if the crime took place in England and Wales, or if the services relate to criminal proceedings are taking place here.

Cleveland Police is committed to providing the highest quality of service possible, we value your feedback.

  • Email us

    Please note: An asterisk(*) denotes a required field.

    CVP -   - 

    Satisfaction Level

  • To contact us by phone please call the 101 non-emergency number
    You can write to us at:

    Cleveland Police
    Shared Service Centre
    Ash House
    III Acre
    Princeton Drive
    Stockton on Tees
    TS17 6AJ

    Information for Victims of Crime

    If your business has been a victim of crime and you report this to the police, you can make an Impact Statement for Business (ISB). The ISB gives you the opportunity to set out the impact that a crime has had on the business such as direct financial loss, and wider impacts, e.g. operational disruption or reputational damage. The court will take the statement into account when determining sentence.

    To find out more, visit:

    The Victims’ Code entitles victims of crime to make a Victim Personal Statement (VPS). The VPS helps give victims a voice in the criminal justice process. In your VPS you can tell the court and the Parole Board, where applicable, how the offence has affected you or your family. You can choose to read your statement aloud in court or have it read out on your behalf if the defendant is found guilty. To find out more, visit:

    If you agree, the police will pass your details on to an organisation that provides services to victims of crime. In the majority of cases, your details will be passed on to a local support service. You can also contact these services directly if you would like support following a crime. To find out more, visit: or phone 0808 168 9293.

    Working together with the police to investigate your crime:
    • If you remember something not already included in your current statement.
    • If your contact details change.
    • If the crime involved any type of hostility, for example if you were targeted because of your race, sexuality, religion, disability or gender identity, or perceived race, sexuality, religion, disability or gender identity.
    • If you have any specific needs, for example, mobility, communication or religious requirements.
    If you, or others close to you, are harassed or threatened in any way during an investigation or a trial, you should contact the police immediately. If the accused is bailed, the court may impose a condition preventing the accused from making any contact with a named person or persons. You could also apply to court to get an injunction against the accused if you think it’s likely that he or she will harass you. If the accused is convicted or acquitted, the criminal court can make a restraining order. In addition, protection for victims and witnesses against witness intimidation extends for up to a year after the end of a trial.
    In some cases if someone is arrested and charged, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will decide whether to prosecute or not and whether to take your case to court. To find out more about the CPS, visit: or call 0203 357 0000.

    The joint police/CPS Witness Care Unit will provide you with a single point of contact after the point of charge about the progress of your case, including the date of hearing. They can also give information on claiming expenses for attending court, including travel, pre-trial visits, allowances for meals, loss of wages and child care. To find out more, visit:

    Her Majesty’s Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is responsible for running all of the courts. To find out more visit:

    The Witness Charter sets out the standards of care you can expect if you are a witness to a crime or incident in England and Wales. The Charter is available online at:

    There is a ‘Going to Court – A Step by Step Guide to Being a Witness’ DVD which explains what happens at court. This can be viewed online at:

    In addition HMCTS has a ‘You are a Prosecution Witness’ leaflet on services and facilities available at individual Crown and Magistrates’ Courts. This can also be viewed online at:

    The Witness Service, run by Citizens Advice, helps victims and witnesses attending court. They are trained staff and volunteers who you can talk to about what to expect before going to court during a pre-trial visit, and who are also present to support you at court. The Witness Service cannot discuss the case or the contents of your evidence with you. To find out more, visit: or call 0300 332 1000

    If you have been a blameless victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). You can apply online at If you need help to complete an application by telephone contact the CICA Customer Service Centre advisors on 0300 003 3601.

    You can apply for compensation whether someone has been prosecuted for the offence or not but you must apply within two years of the date of the incident. You should not wait until the end of a civil or criminal trial before applying for criminal injuries compensation.

    To find out if you are eligible for payment for having suffered immediate financial hardship contact Victim Support on 0808 168911 or visit: as soon as possible.

    If you do not understand or speak English, you are entitled to ask for interpretation into a language you understand when reporting a crime, being interviewed by the police or giving evidence in criminal proceedings. In Wales, you have the legal right to use Welsh when giving evidence and the court will make the necessary provisions. The Victims’ Code sets out your entitlement to request the translation of key documents as part of the case, including the written acknowledgement.
    As a victim, you may be able to undertake Restorative Justice and have a say in the resolution of the offence against you. Restorative Justice is the process of bringing together victims with those responsible for the harm, to find a positive way forward. To find out more, visit:
    When someone is convicted of an offence and sent to prison, they pass into the care of the Prison Service. To find out more, visit:

    If you would like to find out more about what you are entitled to under the Victims’ Code after a sentence has been passed, such as information about the Victim Contact Scheme and the role of the Parole Board, visit: or

    Further information: You can use the Victims’ Information Service to find more detailed information about support and services for victims at:
    or phone 0808 168 9293.

    Citizens Advice can help with financial problems or advice, legal issues or other practical problems. To find out more visit: or call 03444 111 444.