What do the Cleveland Police Cadets do?
A meeting will be held in your district on a selected night every week and regular attendance is expected. Meetings usually include drill/inspection, some sort of physical activity, input on police and community related topics and group activities/projects.
In addition, there will be opportunity to take part in other events at the weekend or during school holidays, such as non confrontational police activities, community projects, activity days and camps.
Do Cadets get paid?
No, but you will play an important part in assisting your local community and helping the police. In addition you will gain valuable experience and skills which will remain with you throughout your life.
Do I have to wear a uniform?
Yes, a uniform is provided following a successful probationary period. The uniform is designed specifically to be different to that of a police officer to avoid any confusion to the public.
What will I get out of the scheme?
As a Cleveland Police Cadet we can offer you opportunity to:
- Gain nationally recognised qualifications;
- Develop skills which will be of help to you in the future;
- Meet new people and be part of a team;
- Make a difference within your community and improve the area in which you live.
Who can join?
- Applicants must be between 13 and 17 years of age
- Cadets will usually leave by their 18th birthday to allow more cadets to become part of the programme
- On reaching 18 each Cadet will be supported in deciding their next steps which may be to continue as volunteer instructors, support in moving to a range of career or educational opportunities.
- Applicants must live within the Cleveland area;
- Enthusiasm and commitment are essential;
- Dedication to attend one evening per week is required;
- No formal academic qualifications needed.
How can I join?
We hold recruitment open evenings throughout the year. If you would like to join the cadets you can come and see what we do then you will need to complete an application form and return it as instructed. Contact the Force Cadet Co-ordinator on 01642 664446 who will tell you more about how you can apply to join.
Is Cleveland Police Cadets only open to those people wanting to join the police service?
No, Cleveland Police Cadets is open to anyone, even if you are not interested in joining the police service. The programme is fully inclusive designed to increase social responsibility, life skills and employability while strengthening empathy and understanding between the Police and young people.
Can I still join if I have been in trouble with the police?
Yes, depending on the type and level of offending. Each application will be assessed on an individual basis and low level offenders (i.e. one off shoplifting, criminal damage) will be considered, however, any history of sexual offences or serious violent offences will mean the application will be withdrawn.
Will I be going out on patrol?
No, for health and safety reasons it is not possible for Cadets to take part in normal police operational activities, however, cadets are expected to assist at a variety of police community events and with crime reduction initiatives.
Will there be a probation period?
Yes, there is a 6 week probation period where you will have the opportunity to see if the scheme is right for you and to ensure you are right for the scheme. Your District Co-ordinator will assess you based on your attendance, your behaviour and your participation. Once you have passed your probationary period you will be provided with a uniform.