About the Job
Being a police officer can be one of the most varied, challenging and rewarding careers you could choose.
Your job is to reduce crime and disorder and promote confidence among local people. As a police officer you understand and deal with the issues that matter most to local people.
To excel as a police officer you must also demonstrate a range of skills and qualities.
Your role is extremely varied. One day you may be arresting a suspect and the next you may be supporting a victim of crime.
Many officers join Cleveland and spend the majority of their careers in the 24/7 team providing an emergency response, or in a Neighbourhood Policing Team where a more collaborative community approach is required. This is perhaps the more traditional view of operational policing and some officers choose to remain in these roles where they feel they can have a direct impact upon service delivery.
There are also opportunities to develop laterally by joining one of our many specialist teams, for example, a Detective in Operational Crime. There are various operational policing opportunities within Cleveland Police including Road Policing, Dog Handling and Firearms.
You will have a key role in:
- safeguarding the public – especially the vulnerable – and providing a reassuring presence in the community;
- supporting victims of and witnesses to, crime and disorder;
- securing the trust and confidence of communities and partners in order to provide community led solutions to local problems;
- managing and communicating information to keep people informed and support successful prosecutions;
- providing an initial response to incidents;
- using technology to investigate, detect and prevent crime.
We believe talented people:
- act with integrity and use their professional judgement to make effective and balanced decisions;
- treat others with respect and dignity, dealing with people fairly and without prejudice regardless of their background or circumstances;
- work co-operatively with courage and resilience to build community confidence and break down barriers.